Powered by Blogger.

Holy Crap! Is January Over???????

Friday, 1 February 2013

And, if so, where the hell did it go?  I just innocently looked at the weather page on my Ipad and saw some chilly temps for Feb. 1 and thought, hmmm, it's going to be cold in a few days, but I wonder what things are like now.  And, after a little clicking and jostling, I knew.

It's February.

Where did January go?  Well, now that it's gone, I know exactly where it went--down the shitter.  Pardon my French, but I have to say it was pretty much a waste of a month.  It started with a funeral--of my daughter's friend from a car accident--and that most awful circumstance of parents having to mourn their child.  That set the tone for the month.

I've spent the last three weeks of it either getting sick, being sick, or hoping against hope that I could stop being sick.  And I take that nagging cough into February with me.  I spent that same amount of time and more swirling in the maelstrom of a time of year when those of us at this school go into overdrive in order to provide a rich slate of activities for boys whom we don't want to become homesick and miserable.  And though I think we did a pretty good job with that, it has taken its toll as well (See: sickness, above).  I was talking to someone this past Wednesday night about something I had been doing this past Monday night, but I couldn't remember what it was.  I literally could not recall where I had been that night; I only knew that I had somewhere that I had to be and that I had been there.  Eventually, it came to me, but only as part of that swirl of wrestling, admissions, basketball, dances, special days and extra nights, meetings and planning sessions, speakers and special days.

Oh, yeah, and stuff that didn't happen.  Like snow, like ice, like tornadoes (thank God!).  We had an abortive afternoon where nothing happened, an abortive day off where nothing happened, and a very cautious school day where we expected to hear warnings and sirens, where we thought it would be too dangerous to go out to lunch.  Oh, how it must suck to forecast the weather in this city.  School administrators must hate you and even teachers and students don't feel much relief when their reprieves carry the guilt of being undeserved.

And the things that did--like the monsoon for three days that flooded my basement and gave my misery a specific smell that hit me as soon as I walked in the door at night until everything finally dried out.

The other things that didn't happen were the things that I avoided because I felt like I was doing too much work and trying not to get sicker.  That's where the month went--in an endless cycle of work, eat, and go to bed early, work, eat, go to be early.  That'll clip the edges off your calendar.

And so I didn't go to band practice, didn't got to a supper club, skipped a night out here, tried to put off a dinner there.  Work, eat, go to bed early.

Of course, you all know that I didn't blog much either, couldn't bring myself to do it, preferred to wallow under blankets with mindless movies on an Ipad.  Not even books, in a month that I'd planned to write about reading.  And didn't.

I play in a trivia league; we have had three terrible outings in a row and we crawl into the playoffs with little confidence.  When I watched sports, my teams lost.

Will the groundhog see his shadow tomorrow?  Who cares?  Certainly not me.  I've been seeing my own shadow for the past month.  You probably think that I'm moping.  Au contraire.  For about one second, I was shocked and saddened that January was over, but, as you can tell, there wasn't much to miss.

Bring on February.  Bring on Winter Break.  Bring on Valentine's Day.   Bring on Spring.  Bring on Spring Break.  Bring on Summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Partner

Most Reading

Popular Posts

Blog Archive