Powered by Blogger.

Summer Cruisin' 2013

Monday, 10 June 2013

Most years since the 1980's, I have made a cassette mixtape or CD mix for a particular friend of mine.  The mix was always called Summer Cruisin', with the appropriate year added.  It was an homage to a series of record compilations (I'm assuming of 50's and early 60's music) that I remember from my teenage years.

I never owned any of them, so I don't really know what was on them.  But for many of us with busy, cluttered lives these days, that chance to drive with the top down or the windows down or the top up and the a/c on is one of the few opportunities we have to crank up some tunes and to get inside the spaces of some song.  Or, maybe, one of the few chances to do some sustained music listening, like for 20 whole minutes while we drive somewhere.

Recently, I have the added bonus of my wife not liking the way I drive and so wanting to drive everywhere, which my manhood fought at first, until I realized that when I wasn't driving, there was a whole lot of other fun stuff that I could do in a car--listen to music through headphones, play games, read, screw around on a phone, Waze, sleep, etc.

So in the spirit of all of that, I offer my 2013 installment of the Summer Cruisin' series.  As is typical, it's a blend of recent and less so, kind of well-known and preciously-obscure, grabby and stuff that only I might like.  But I've done my best to try to sync it with summer weather, summer sensibilities, carefree living, and, most of all, pleasurable miles on an open road.  Enjoy!


"Summertime" by Gershwin (solo guitar)" (mp3)

"Age Of Ice"--Thao and the Get Down Stay Down (mp3)

"Like Lovers Do"--Lloyd and Will Cole (mp3)

"Fall In"--Cloud Nothings (mp3)

"Drink The Water"--Eisley (mp3)

"Helicopter"--Branches (mp3)

"Hearts and Minds"--Son Volt (mp3)

"San Francisco"--Foxygen (mp3)

"European Me"--Johnny Marr (mp3)

"Fenway"--Griffin House (mp3)

"As It Comes"--Cheyenne Marie Mize (mp3)

"Dreamin'"--Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison (mp3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Partner

Most Reading

Popular Posts

Blog Archive